who can prosecute you to pay a challan for Motor vehicles?

while I was travelling in Delhi in my car, I witnessed policemen which were not from the traffic police was prosecuting a driver for jumping a red light, Now I wondered how a normal policemen can prosecute a driver for traffic violation, Is he has power to prosecute if not who has a power to prosecute for traffic violation. I visited http://www.delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/offenses-penalties.htm site and found the answers. The traffic policemen not below the rank of head constable can only prosecute you for traffic offence.



So next time a normal policemen prosecute you for traffic challan, do not pay any money to him as this money will go into his pocket, Instead ask him to cut a proper challan. which he will not be able to do.