while I was travelling in Delhi in my car, I witnessed policemen which were not from the traffic police was prosecuting a driver for jumping a red light, Now I wondered how a normal policemen can prosecute a driver for traffic violation, Is he has power to prosecute if not who has a power to prosecute for traffic violation. I visited http://www.delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/offenses-penalties.htm site and found the answers. The traffic policemen not below the rank of head constable can only prosecute you for traffic offence.
So next time a normal policemen prosecute you for traffic challan, do not pay any money to him as this money will go into his pocket, Instead ask him to cut a proper challan. which he will not be able to do.
- E-challans are here, around 3,000 people fined everyday (dnaindia.com)
- Glitch-free PDAs pressed into service (thehindu.com)
- Kolkata traffic rule breakers may get e-challans on phones (news.in.msn.com)
- Haryana refuses to pay for roadways buses fined in Delhi (indiavision.com)
- Pedestrian Crossings (roadtrafficsigns.com)